Friday, October 03, 2008

my tainted love of food and drink

Hmmm, I am eyeing my last Chocopie (parang isang mega-Mallows ito), sitting on top of our dining table and at the same time wondering whether this sweet treat has got traces of melamine in it. What da heck, I've already eaten the rest of what was in the box!

I guess were just looking at the tip of the iceberg here. Aren't we actually ingesting other kinds of chemicals everyday through food containers and kitchen stuff?

What about the teflon coating on cooking pans, rice cookers which we all have ingested one way or another through out our lifetime? Have you checked your pans lately, I bet you can already see through patches of exposed metal. And the tocino sticks to the bottom of the pan more often than before. It's really convenient to cook on non-stick pans as long as we're in denial about the chemmy stuff.

Check out your spatulas and other cooking utensils, some of them are plastic and heat resistant right? But how sure are you that tiny bits of heated chemicals do not get mixed with your sinangag (The "tutong" sure tastes good! ) or stir-fried beef with broccoli?

Thirsty? Bottled water infused with PET chemicals will definitely hit that dry spot. Same goes for canned or boxed drinks, different container liners but can we have some reassurance that chemicals do not leach through? Gaddemmet, I just wish that glass wasn't as breakable as it is.

I can only imagine a world without plastic food containers, no ziplocs, tupperwares, rubbermaids, nalgenes, etc. It's possible but there's no other convenient way around this right now, I guess.

I'll pass on the Chocopie and just go for that cold can of beer in the fridge.

No comments: