Saturday, April 14, 2007

"The sex is in the heel" - Lola



I have a penchant for movies about transgenders, transvestites, and transsexuals perhaps from watching movies of Fefita Fofonggay in my formative years. The movies are not all entertaining or fun, some are tragic, like the Crying Game; but all of them memorable especially the ones with a great soundtrack, like Hedwig and the Angry Inch.

So I saw another movie last weekend, "Kinky Boots" which was based on a true story of a shoe factory that pulled itself up by its bootstraps by catering to a niche market, in the movie it was creating women's shoes for men who wear them, but reality was not as fantastic as the movie since the shoe factory catered to the sex industry.

Nevertheless, Lola, the drag queen portrayed by one of my fave actors, Chiwetel Ejiofor was marvelous! The only boots I have worn in my life were the black rubber galoshes in Manila and then I went on to owning a pair of 8-hole Doc Martens. Kinky boots are out of the question, they would not even get past my knees!

No comments: