Saturday, April 14, 2007

Time is On my Hands


I just realized I have been juggling between several books. Re-reading Gabriel Garcia Marquez' and reading Carson McCullers' - Collected Stories, Jared Diamond - Guns, Germs and Steel , Hillary Rodham Clinton - Living History, Edward P. Jones - The Known World , Edward Said - Culture and Imperialism , Kazuo Ishiguro - The Remains Of The Day; and an interesting Pinoy book edited by Emmie Velarde, Aparador ni Lola. They are strewn about the flat, the academic books taking me ages to read and finish, like Edward Said's, I am stuck at the Introduction. To read his work is like going to your favorite class, you become engrossed until you think about your school sweetheart.

There was one book supposedly in the list which I devoured quickly, Radclyffe Hall - The Well Of Loneliness. Written in 1928 and banned for decades, this was one book that I wished I'd read when I was in High School! It might have fast-forwarded my "coming-of-age".

No comments: