Sunday, May 13, 2007

Pa'saan ka na?

Disc 3 - Message In A Bottle - The Police, Driven to Tears
"How can you say that you're not responsible?
What does it have to do with me?
What is my reaction, what should it be?
Confronted by this latest atrocity
Driven to tears"


I already posted my OFW ballot 2 weeks ago, hindi ko napuno ang balota ko. Kulang ng 3 senador. My friends in Manila were nice enough to share their thoughts on who should be on the list, but as I was filling my ballot up, wala talaga eh. Kulang sa 3.

Our office went into REALLY BUSY mode last Friday. Oh well, it was actually me who kicked into that mode. I did OT. It might sound so blasé to overachievers and busy beavers, but for one like myself who rarely does OT, it matters - lalo na kung walang bayad.

Sabi ni bossing, in case we miss the last train we can take a cab. WHOO-HOO, yeah the LIMO service! Of course, who in his/her right mind would catch the last train when you can ride home on a Toyota Crown? Ang mahal kasi ng taxi dito, ¥650 (about US$6.00) ang flag-down rate, may extra charge pa sa gabi.

The Tokyo last train might be like boarding the last chopper taking off at the US Embassy in Saigon, OR WORSE. At least a chopper has got a weight limit. Packing people, mostly drunk and woozy in a train car is another story.

The Limo service starts at past midnight, so naturally I stayed until Cinderella time. It takes at least 30mins. for me to get home by cab or by train, so during the ride home, where I tried not to get carsick (di na ako sanay sumakay sa kotse/bus kasi), I took in the Friday night scenery from swanky Omotesando, Ginza, to shitamachi Tokyo.

Tokyo is a generally CLEAN city, compared to Manila. There are no stringent fines for litteing here like in Singapore. One will still find grimy spots in the busy areas. But looking at the sidewalks, lamposts, fences, gutters and drains and to think there are not any existing public trash cans around, most of the streets are immaculately clean - any time of the day. The gutters, sideswalks and manhole covers are all intact, may kanal pero malinis. Naisip ko, ito pala ang G7 country, kaya pala....

NASA TAO ANG GAWA. Oo, nasa ating mga Pinoy talaga. Bakit ko nasasabi ito? Tulad nating mga Pinoy, ang mga Hapon, they also break the rules. There are some spots in my neighborhood were it is NOT ALLOWED to park bicycles or scooters at. Since these spots are very close to the train/subway stations and commercial areas, people still leave their bikes here. BUT everyone park their bikes in a very orderly fashion, nag mistulang parking area talaga! You could see that everyone took into consideration the hassle their bikes were doing to the pedestrians, so they all parked their bikes in the expected manner. Bikes do get stolen here, but like I said it is very rare and for reasons like one has to get home ASAP.

HOME, my taxi driver is not someone you'd suspect that will rip you off or worse, rip your throat off with a dull knife. You get a receipt and exact change, a polite thank you, the door opens automatically and you step out of the cab without any fear that you might get mugged on your way to to your flat. Sa Manila, the moment I lock my door, and make sure that no one broke in my flat, is the time I resume breathing.

Singles - The Pretenders - Kid

"Shut the light, go away
Full of grace, you cover your face"

No comments: