Monday, August 25, 2008

Shine a Light

This ongoing series about the Ninoy Aquino assassination written by Fe Zamora of the Philippine Daily Inquirer and another article by Joel C. Paredes, PCIJ.org shed some light over cracks and crevices that were once unseen or ignored. Time and again some "new" tidbit of fact or trivia comes out every 21st of August that would refresh my already fading memory of those who perished while fighting for our country. I cannot remember the names right offhand, but I do recall Lean Alejandro, student leader, assassinated at age 27 and Evelio Javier. Marami pa.

I was in my early 20's when these people were murdered (and the list does not stop there), I had other things in my mind then, though by reading the dailies I had cultivated some interest in the politics that was going on; and perhaps this was also brought on by some close relatives who were pro-Marcos. I remember my mom asking me not to even enjoy the thought of going to Mendiola to join the student rallies, though she praised the nuns who were always seen at the forefront. Sabi ko sa kanya noon, "I might consider being a nun" -- hahaha, ala Sister Stella L... but then that is entirely another story.

No comments: